Proposal, presentation and paper requirements
- Define research question, select location, list available data, methods (theory), software tools, describe expected results.
- Length: DE students 10 minutes, on-campus students 15 min + 5 min discussion
- Introduction/background: problem, motivation for the research, research question / objective
- Study site: where, why this site, geographic characteristics
- Data acquisition: platform and sensor, flight plan (if applicable), flight conditions
- Data properties and processing: resolution, spatial extent, accuracy
- Analysis and/or modeling methods: describe methodology and workflows
- Results: present and explain the results using qualitative and quantitative description, tables, graphs, maps/images,
- Discussion: discuss impact of flight conditions, data and methods on the results, uncertainty issues, compare with results from other studies, which questions remain unresolved, what still needs to be done
- Conclusion: summary of the most important findings including advances in methodology, future work
- Structure and formatting should follow scientific journal standards.
- Same sections as the presentation
- Text and Figures: min. 4 pages, single spaced including tables and references images, maps, graphs, presented in readable size with scale and legends where needed
- References: at least 5 papers from scientific journals, rest can be reports, web documents
- Appendix (optional): workflows, scripts, metadata. Software commands, issues go here
- Baker, Kurt: Effective ground classification of non-uniform laser data
- Brown, Tamika: The Implications of Using Unmanned Aerial Systems to Monitor Hazardous Waste Facility Sites and Better Understand Community Endangerment within the City of Chicago
- Charping, Charlie: UAS Technology for Open Pit Mining
- Conrad, Matt: 3D Modelling from Video: Technology Application
- Cummings, John: Automated Detection of Roadway Features Via UAS
- Davis, Jeremy: Creating a Basis for the Influence of Elevation on Wheat Varieties in North Carolina
- Groh, Erica: Proposed UAS Survey of Alluvial Fans in California
- Hoffman, Dallas: Analysis of Multiple Return Lidar in ArcGIS
- Jones, Alli: LIDAR and UAV to Monitor Beach Nourishment - Emerald Isle, NC
- Ma, Xingli: Use of UAS to Detect Disease in Soybeans
- Nicholas, D. Chase: Tracking Crop Development with UAVs: Using SfM to Estimate Plant Height and Volume
- Oberrender, Daniel: Cave Detection using Local Relief Model derived from UAS SfM
- Potter, Andrew: Coastal Change Analysis of the Cape Lookout National Seashore
- Ruiz, Rachel: Implementation of Unmanned Aerial System to Conduct Bridge Inspection
- Scheip, Corey: UAS Imagery to Supplement Lidar-Based Landslide Programs
- Wheaton, James: Utilizing UAS to Generate Land Cover Data
- Williams, Caleb: Unmanned Aerial Systems for Waterfowl Population Studies at the Tom Yawkey Wildlife Center
- Albert, James: A New Approach to Landfill Management in the Solid Waste Industry
- Anderson, Alexander: Using UAS Structure from Motion and and LiDAR DSMs to Identify, Monitor and Mitigate Coastal Erosion In Okaloosa County
- Bastias, Sabina and Montgomery, Kellyn: Combining Nadir and Oblique Imagery to Address Distortion in UAS Data
- Catlow, Maureen, Hahn, Becca, and Voigt Erin: "RescUAV data after Hurricane Irma: Natural Disaster Analysis"
- Dawson, Victor: ???
- Edenhart-Pepe, Skyler and Pierce, Austin: Evaluating the use of time series UAS and Lidar data to monitor rate of change of hydrologic flow patterns on land development projects.
- Felipe, Lauren: ???
- Forte, Michael: Object Detection Using Structure From Motion Techniques
- Howell, Andrew: Estimating Area and Standing Biomass of Zizania latifolia Using sUAS
- Kesselring, Todd: Using LiDAR and NDVI for Vegetation Management in Utility Right of Ways
- Lamb, Kelsey: Mapping surface water and impervious surface
- Liesch, Mandy: Changes in Water Balance Associated with Farm Development
- Meyers, William: Measuring and Modeling Biomass of Pines at Tatum Farm
- Schrum, Paul: 3D UAV track in Blender: A Blender Addon to import, edit, then export UAV trajectories
- Suffern, Carrie: Monitoring Drainage Issues at a Small Farm: Use of UAS DSMs and LiDAR DEMs to Forecast Storm Runoff and Monitor Sinkhole Formation
- Vincent, Sarah: UAV versus Statewide Contours, is it worth it to move dirt?
- Travis Howell: Mapping volume of wood chip pile
- Corbin Kling: Jockey's Ridge State Park: a potential Mars dune analog
- Nicholas Kruskamp: Forest structure
- William Ross: Water Surface Elevation Generation & Storm Debris Volume Estimation using UAS
- Joshua Rudd: Crop growth monitoring using sUAS
- Dyer Tristan: Barrier island monitoring of volume change
- Foley Molly: Mapping forest fragmentation in urbanizing landscape using sUAS
- Reckling William: Utilities
- Bayasgalan Gantulga: Beaver dam impact assessment
- Belica Laura: Monitoring grass conditions under different levels of management (change to solar irradiation from UAS DSM?)
- Harmon Brendan: Gully monitoring and volume change assesment
- Petras Vaclav: Optimizing point cloud density for modeling microtopography controls over surface flow.
- Petrasova Anna: Extracting bare earth from sUAS using lower resolution bare earth lidar
- Smart Lindsey Suzanne: Mapping coastal plain microtopography and its impact on surface water distribution
- Velasquez Montoya Liliana: Mapping soil erosion using sUAS DEMs